PitStop Productions are looking for highly-motivated Sound Designers to join their Sound Design team of 20+ in our studios in Barnsley, South Yorkshire.
The successful candidate will work within smaller teams on a variety of AAA to indie projects, and be given responsibility for their own project to become a noteworthy contributor.
They will also have the opportunity to creatively contribute to the many other titles we have in production. All while being supported by 50+ audio professionals in all departments at PitStop such as Sound Design, Music, Voice and Performance Capture.
Recently completed titles include: Returnal: Ascension, Little Nightmares II: Enhanced Edition, and the latest Minecraft Dungeons expansion packs.
This is an ideal opportunity for someone who loves working with fellow audio professionals, and is looking to further hone their craft of Sound Design to influence and create AAA audio in video games.
- We are an independent audio production team running multiple projects worldwide
- Over the past 25 years, we have grown our reputation and team, making us renowned for delivering reliably high-quality work
- We have a friendly and supportive team, who have built up a culture of really looking out for each other
- We encourage collaborative working and sharing of skill sets across all levels
- You will have the freedom and security to fulfil your true potential
- This position gives the opportunity to widen and vary your audio skills, along with making a meaningful impact on a range of notable titles
- Your path is unlimited! The possibilities to advance and further your career are a certainty if you are passionate about game audio and love being part of a creative team
- Our location is ideal for either a city or country lifestyle
- Create and implement a wide range of high quality sound effects, conceptualising and deciding on sound direction, both aesthetic and technical requirements
- Understand the needs of the project to plan and execute high quality sound design throughout development
- Be a driving force on the project, utilising your experience to guide and inspire other members of the team
- Expertly describe technical behaviour and problems when communicating with external code/design/animation teams
- Problem solve and devise creative solutions to the complex challenges which can arise within interactive audio
- Mix and balance all types of media (linear / individual assets / in game) to a high standard
- Profiling and performance optimisation
- Bug fixing
- Strong creative sound design skills
- A good understanding of any of the following game engines and audio middleware; Unreal/Unity/FMOD/Wwise.
- Proven experience to implement a diverse range of sound effects to a high standard, while maintaining optimisation principles
- Confident communication and interpersonal skills with a positive team attitude
- Expert knowledge of using industry standard DAWs, audio editing tools, and audio plugins. Specifically REAPER as our DAW of choice but otherwise; Logic Pro, Pro Tools, Ableton etc…
- Demonstrate a proven reliability with time management and an understanding of the importance of meeting self-set and externally set targets
- Efficient organisational skills when planning and tracking projects
- Broad knowledge of studio and field recording techniques
- Full cycle development experience working on a AAA title in the games industry
- Experience with designing and implementing bespoke interactive sound systems
- Visual scripting experience, such as creating and using blueprints
- BA/BSc degree in audio production/sound design or equivalent experience
- Good proficiency in using Microsoft Excel and Google Docs
- Experience in using version control software and VPNs
- Good experience with creating linear audio, such as trailers, short movies, etc…
- Relocation package
- Bonus schemes
- Referral fee commission scheme
- Generous holiday allowance
- Enhanced sick pay
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave
- Flexible working policy including some time WFH
- Personalised career development
- Company funded social events / nights out / meals with the team
- Regular games nights / tournaments
- Access to acoustically treated recording studios / creative spaces outside of studio hours
- Free entry to many industry events
The successful candidate will receive a competitive salary depending on their skills and experience.
This position will be held at our South Yorkshire studios in Dodworth, Barnsley.
Please ensure you are willing to commute or relocate in order to attend the office.
We’re an equal opportunities employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, or race.
How to apply
Please email your CV and a short covering letter to: email@example.com
Ensuring the email subject is ‘Sound Designer‘.
Your CV + covering letter should include any education, work experience and skills that are relevant to the advertised role. As a well as a link to the following:
1) Creative showreel
This should be a video around 2 minutes in length that showcases your skills and style as a creative. Please use a mix of in-game and linear audio examples, ensuring the sound suitably fits the visuals and overall shows good mixing skills.
2) Technical showreel
This should show your skills and knowledge in middleware/game engines. Ideally this should also include narration explaining any technical elements, giving a breakdown of techniques or features used. Ensuring enthusiasm for interesting implementation ideas, with contextual descriptions of what you did for each example.